Subject: RE: statue of Pan
From: "Pfotenhauer_LC" <[email-masked]>
To: "Peter Cardinal" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 11:17:25 -0600

Peter,

The figure Joy Boy was given to the museum in the 1950s. The Green Bay
Park Department purchased it in approximately 1927 for $900.00. They
installed the fountain in the formal garden just to house the figure.
The figure was removed from the park in the early 1950s because of
vandalism.

Hope this helps. Louise

Louise Pfotenhauer 
Curator of Collections 
Neville Public Museum of Brown County 
210 Museum Place 
Green Bay WI 54303 
920-448-7845 
fax 920-448-4458 
www.nevillepublicmuseum.org 
[email-masked] 

________________________________

From: Pfotenhauer_LC 
Sent: Monday, November 21, 2011 9:15 AM
To: 'Peter Cardinal'
Subject: RE: statue of Pan

Peter,

We do have the statue of Pan in our collection. I will check the
provenance and see what additional we may have regarding it and then get
back to you. Louise

Louise Pfotenhauer 
Curator of Collections 
Neville Public Museum of Brown County 
210 Museum Place 
Green Bay WI 54303 
920-448-7845 
fax 920-448-4458 
www.nevillepublicmuseum.org 
[email-masked] 

________________________________

From: Peter Cardinal [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Sunday, November 20, 2011 3:30 PM
To: Pfotenhauer_LC
Subject: Re: statue of Pan

On 11/07/11 13:02, Peter Cardinal wrote: 

In writing about the history of Joannes Park, I'm hoping to track the
disposition of a statue which once stood there. Tiffany at the front
desk gave me your name as the person most likely to have this
information.

According to notes at the city's Park, Recreation and Forestry
Department, "As the park was developed, a fine piece of statuary by
Helen Farnsworth Mears, an original bronze of Pan from 'The Spirit of
Youth' was placed near the wading pool. The bronze Pan was later given
to the Museum." I'd like to confirm those statements and add the date of
the transfer. Original provenence, descriptive data, and subsequent
disposition might also be interesting. I'm guessing the statue was
associated with the formal garden, or perhaps the formal garden was
created around the statue; in any case, both are now gone from the park.

This project is just one piece of my park archive, 
http://parchive.pivotrock.net. I've completed histories for several
parks, including Astor, Atkinson, Beaver Dam, Cooke (by request of the
curator at the railroad museum), and Fisk. The history of Joannes Park,
at http://parchive.pivotrock.net
<http://parchive.pivotrock.net/joannes/history> /joannes/history
<http://parchive.pivotrock.net/joannes/history> , is in progress. The
real reason for the Parchive website is my photography -- I needed an
ongoing project to focus my efforts at improving my photography.
Originally, the history was just a way to make my photos more
interesting to potential visitors. However, park history is becoming a
project of its own.

Peter Cardinal 

1100 Oregon Street 
Green Bay, Wisconsin